Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cutting Back

Yesterday I made a very bold move.
I unfollowed everyone that I had been following on twitter.
That's right...EVERYONE.
Even Joe McIntyre?
Yup.
But WHY Shannon?! That's crazy.
Well, because I suddenly realized that there is something very wrong when the very first thing I do every morning when I wake up is look at my phone.
Actually, the realization wasn't very sudden. I've known I have an issue for quite some time. I was just too scared to do anything about it.
The thing is...I love the people I follow! Why would I want to unfollow? I know how seriously people take twitter follows- why would I risk upsetting people? I HATE upsetting people, especially people I honestly care about.
When I started to break out in a cold sweat just considering the idea I knew for sure that it was EXACTLY what I needed to do.
I need to get my priorities back in order. My life & the lives of my family & friends need to come first. They always have, but it's really hard to make people believe that you give a hoot if you're too busy looking at your touchscreen to look into their eyes. I need to focus more on what my daughter is doing 3 feet in front of me & less on what some person I've never actually met is doing half way across the world.
I'm still here. I still care about all of the people I've "met" on twitter. If you tweet me I will still answer just like I always have...just maybe not quite as quickly.
If I was following you before and I'm not now, please know that it is not personal. You didn't do anything to offend me. I like you just fine. Before I unfollowed everyone I made a careful list of all of the people I was following so that I can continue to stay in touch. It's going to take me a little bit of time to get things set up, but I will be using lists to keep up with people so that I can keep my timeline a bit more subdued than it's been in the past.
I tried to explain what was going on as it was happening to lessen the chances of people getting the wrong idea, but I do realize that I am not the center of the universe and not everyone will have seen the tweets. Hopefully this blog will help anyone who cares to understand where I'm coming from.
Thanks for reading & thanks for being the best virtual family a girl could ask for.


xoxo

2 comments:

  1. You don't know me personally, but I love following you and reading your blog. I give you tons of credit as I keep telling myself I need to do the same thing.
    This is exactly what I needed to hear, "I need to focus more on what my daughter is doing 3 feet in front of me & less on what some person I've never actually met is doing half way across the world."
    Thank you, Shannon, for opening my eyes! Enjoy the extra time with your daughter and family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girlie, you inspired me to do something very similar. My phone used to run my life and now....well, I'll go all day without checking and not really care. I want to know, but it just isn't as important as hanging out with my family and friends. Thanks for the inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete